First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oputman
Posts: 2
Joined: 8/13/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by oputman »

I’m visiting Breckinridge for 5 days in September with my wife and 8 (almost 9) year old daughter.

This will be the highest altitude we’ve been at. We’ll do the big hike on day 5, do some smaller hikes, as well as some other non strenuous activities at higher than base altitude to get as acclimated as we can. My wife and I have done an 8 mile, 2300 ft hike that maxed out at about 7,500 feet and 7 mile, 1,800 feet max at 8,000 feet a few years ago (in the Canadian Rockies which were amazing BTW)

The biggest hike my daughter has done is probably 600 - 900 feet. We’re from Chicago, we don’t have many hills. But she’s fit and active like most 8 year olds. And she wants to climb a mountain (she talks all the time about a trip we’ve been thinking about for a while to go hike some big mountains in Alaska when she’s 10).

We like hikes that aren’t boring. My daughter’s favorite thing on a hike is when we have to rock hop / boulder hop across rivers. But anything that breaks up the monotony of walking 2,500 feet up is appreciated. If we’ve got to use our hands from time to time, all the better. We’ve done some indoor rock climbing, but I’m not looking for technical climbing here. Just something to slice things up. Wildlife is a huge draw for her. But I don’t want to be in a situation where I think “if she missteps, she’s falling off the mountain”.

So, that’s our backstory. Now to the question. Which one? Quandary comes up a lot as a suggestion for first 14er, but that just seems like a boring 3,000 foot uphill slog. While researching quandary I thought about Fletcher. Seems like a more interesting hike with less elevation. But that all led me hear and down the rabbit hole I went.

So now I think I’ve narrowed it down to Lincoln, Democrat, or Sherman. I can only gather so much info from trail reports. So now I’m turning to those of you who have been on these mountains. Where do we go?
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 9893
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 57 14
Trip Reports (16)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by Scott P »

If Quandary is boring, then Sherman and Lincoln will be too.

Maybe try Crystal from the east/Spruce Creek. There are nice waterfalls and lakes along that route too and it's just outside Breckenridge. It's not a 14er though, but might be more interesting for your 8 year old because of the lakes and waterfalls.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
madbuck
Posts: 1018
Joined: 6/16/2009
Trip Reports (6)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by madbuck »

Good other option from Scott.

I don't think Quandary would be boring.
The most odious part is either paying to park or taking the bus. If the schedule/cost doesn't matter and works out for you, Quandary (like all summit hikes starting below treeline) does have a variety with forests, creeks, meadows, and then the rockier summit. Quandary also has reliable mountain goat viewing as far as wildlife -- my kids have really enjoyed finding tufts of mtn goat hair, especially along willow branches.
Both Democrat and Sherman standard/easiest trails start above treeline so you lack the forested part that Quandary has.

Kite Lake, although busy, is also scenic and Democrat is a nicer-looking mountain among the bunch. A tiny bit more hands on rock options at the top than Quandary.
Sherman has a bit more rocks to play on at the top. You could do it from the more common Fairplay side and see some cabin/mining ruins. From the Leadville side, you have the advantage of getting out of Breckenridge and visiting Leadville as well.

There's also a chance, given that it's the longest, highest, and max elevation gain for the 3 of you, and that you'll likely need/want to carry a commensurate bit more layers, snacks, and water, that at least one of you will sorta feel crappy during the hike. For all the disadvantages of a crowd, an advantage of a 14er, especially with kids IMHO, is that the number of other hikers are encouraging to kids. And motivational to adults when they see young and old people doing it.
For solitude and variety, though, yes there are better options.

Have a great trip!
oputman
Posts: 2
Joined: 8/13/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by oputman »

I appreciate the replies, but you were supposed to make my decision easier not harder 😂 :lol: .
User avatar
Pcypher
Posts: 90
Joined: 7/24/2015
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by Pcypher »

I vote Sherman. You want her to enjoy it and you will be successful most likely as long as weather holds. Cool mines and old tracks are interesting for kids. We saw a fox. I took my 13 year old daughter just this spring and it was great. A couple false summits you can prepare her for mentally but at the end there is a tiny amount of exposure along the ridge but not scary (makes it feel more rewarding according to my daughter) and then views of mtns and mountain towns from top. Only 5.5 miles round trip. Trail is easy to follow.
It’s not who you think you are that holds you back; it’s who you think you’re not.
peter303
Posts: 3583
Joined: 6/17/2009
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by peter303 »

Loveland Pass, not far from Breckenridge, is a good warm up. Its starts at 12K and reaches almost 13K quickly.
User avatar
Violet
Posts: 45
Joined: 9/5/2022
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by Violet »

I vote on Sherman or Democrat, the view on the top is beautiful. But Sherman trail is shorter than Democrat and no tree line for both of them.
User avatar
Trotter
Posts: 1486
Joined: 6/5/2013
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 279 2 8
Trip Reports (10)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by Trotter »

oputman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:42 pm I’m visiting Breckinridge for 5 days in September with my wife and 8 (almost 9) year old daughter.

This will be the highest altitude we’ve been at. We’ll do the big hike on day 5, do some smaller hikes, as well as some other non strenuous activities at higher than base altitude to get as acclimated as we can. My wife and I have done an 8 mile, 2300 ft hike that maxed out at about 7,500 feet and 7 mile, 1,800 feet max at 8,000 feet a few years ago (in the Canadian Rockies which were amazing BTW)

The biggest hike my daughter has done is probably 600 - 900 feet. We’re from Chicago, we don’t have many hills. But she’s fit and active like most 8 year olds. And she wants to climb a mountain (she talks all the time about a trip we’ve been thinking about for a while to go hike some big mountains in Alaska when she’s 10).

We like hikes that aren’t boring. My daughter’s favorite thing on a hike is when we have to rock hop / boulder hop across rivers. But anything that breaks up the monotony of walking 2,500 feet up is appreciated. If we’ve got to use our hands from time to time, all the better. We’ve done some indoor rock climbing, but I’m not looking for technical climbing here. Just something to slice things up. Wildlife is a huge draw for her. But I don’t want to be in a situation where I think “if she missteps, she’s falling off the mountain”.

So, that’s our backstory. Now to the question. Which one? Quandary comes up a lot as a suggestion for first 14er, but that just seems like a boring 3,000 foot uphill slog. While researching quandary I thought about Fletcher. Seems like a more interesting hike with less elevation. But that all led me hear and down the rabbit hole I went.

So now I think I’ve narrowed it down to Lincoln, Democrat, or Sherman. I can only gather so much info from trail reports. So now I’m turning to those of you who have been on these mountains. Where do we go?
It sounds like a good plan. Quandary will be a pain now, due to the bus/parking situation. I'd vote sherman just because its short and sweet, and has cool old mining ruins.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
User avatar
overthe59hill
Posts: 42
Joined: 8/24/2015
14ers: 18 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (34)
 

Re: First 14er, with 8 year old, staying in Breckinridge

Post by overthe59hill »

I think Mt. Democrat might be a good one for your daughter. It's only a 4-mile roundtrip hike and has splendid views at the summit. It's shorter than Mt. Sherman and has less exposure than Sherman heading up, which frightens some first-timers.