Columbia vs Quandary

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rgubenko
Posts: 4
Joined: 8/15/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Columbia vs Quandary

Post by rgubenko »

My first 14-er was Mt Columbia just about a month ago and all I can say is it was gnarly. I said I’m never doing this again. Well, I’m doing this again. Now that I’ve done my research, I’d like to do a class 1 so I’m going to do Quandary this weekend. The closer it gets, the more nervous I get, having memories of Columbia. Can anyone compare Columbia vs Quandary so I can feel better that Quandary should be easier?
User avatar
randalmartin
Posts: 1561
Joined: 5/4/2008
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (13)
 

Re: Columbia vs Quandary

Post by randalmartin »

Quandary is as easy as 14ers get. Quandary is much shorter (approx 7 miles RT and 3000 ft of elevation gain) A full trail the entire way, nothing loose or talus to walk through. Columbia was an awful peak a few years ago when I did it but CFI has done some significant improvements since then. There are definitely 14ers with much higher suck factor than Columbia.
PJ88
Posts: 222
Joined: 5/10/2020
14ers: 53 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Columbia vs Quandary

Post by PJ88 »

Just did Columbia last weekend. Cfi did great work on the initial switchbacks, but it’s still pretty crappy right before you hit the ridge. Quandary was my first 14er a few years ago so my memory is a little foggy. From what I remember there is no comparison. Quandary is a trail up a steady ridge. Piece of cake if you’ve done Columbia.
rgubenko
Posts: 4
Joined: 8/15/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Columbia vs Quandary

Post by rgubenko »

Yes, there’s been improvement from what I understand on Columbia. Person I was with mentioned how bad it was and showed me spots where it was improved. There are some steps out of stone that help, but still…the rocks by the summit! The last 300-400 ft, good lawd!!! And then the rocky gain, thinking about going down still gives me hibbie jibbies.
rgubenko
Posts: 4
Joined: 8/15/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Columbia vs Quandary

Post by rgubenko »

Thanks all for responses. I think I’m feeling better. What about at the top, is the scree field not bad closer to the summit in Quandary?
User avatar
randalmartin
Posts: 1561
Joined: 5/4/2008
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (13)
 

Re: Columbia vs Quandary

Post by randalmartin »

rgubenko wrote: ↑Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:57 pm Thanks all for responses. I think I’m feeling better. What about at the top, is the scree field not bad closer to the summit in Quandary?
The top of Quandary isn't a scree field. It's a trail all the way to the top as image 15 in the route description shows. The final bit may have a part where rocks are beaten into a "Trail" but it's not like walking through a talus field.
rgubenko
Posts: 4
Joined: 8/15/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Columbia vs Quandary

Post by rgubenko »

Thanks! Makes me feel so much better!