Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
indio
Posts: 2
Joined: 8/27/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by indio »

Hi All,

I will be riding my motorcycle from SF Bay to Utah and then Colorado. I will cross into Colorado on 9/19, ride 145, parts of 550 to Frisco via Leadville then on to Squaw Pass & Mt Evans. I will have spent 1 night at Leadville by the time I ride to Mt Evans & Squaw Pass on the same day.

My thinking/plan:

1) I'd like to do at least 1 peak and two if possible; Elbert and/or Bierstadt. Since I will be riding to Mt Evans and it will be a short riding day I plan on heading onto a campground that is close to Mt Bierstadt. Setup camp or maybe motel/hotel then hike it next day. Are campgrounds open at that time of year ?
2)Next day pack up and spend night at Leadville or a campground near the NE trail so that I can start real early. Is the "road" leading to trailhead/campground Elbert Creek or HalfMoon doable on a street bike. I have some experience riding in gravel, dirt, sand but not technical trails/terrain.
3) Are there any shuttles services that do drop off/pickup from trailheads in case terrain leading upto trailhead is not conducive for a street bike. I don't want to get injured even before I start hiking :lol:

I haven't done any 14ers. So this will be first time. I have camped right off of Clouds Rest trail (I think 9000 feet) thrice, hiked Half Dome (twice) plus some JMT backpacking trips over the years.

Any suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated.

I have already downloaded the app. I am glad I stumbled across this site.

Thank you
Rahul
constipated_pete
Posts: 44
Joined: 4/19/2021
14ers: 45  2 
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by constipated_pete »

1) Guanella pass campground is right there, but it looks like it closes the week before. There may be dispersed (primitive) camping up on the pass, I'm sure someone here will chime in
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232306

2) The road is a good dirt road, doable in any sedan. No clue about bikes tho
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhea ... hparm=sw01

3) No shuttles
User avatar
justiner
Posts: 4943
Joined: 8/28/2010
14ers: 3  1 
Trip Reports (40)
 

Re: Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by justiner »

constipated_pete wrote: ↑Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:01 pm There may be dispersed (primitive) camping up on the pass, I'm sure someone here will chime in
Dispersed camping is tight on Guanella Pass, as they closed it all except in certain places - worth to do your due diligence.
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
User avatar
sfreytag
Posts: 80
Joined: 5/5/2020
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26 1
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by sfreytag »

If you go down the road a bit there is Geneva Park CG. Definitely accessible by a bike.

If you want dispersed camping, check out Kirby Gulch up CO Rd 1038/FS Rd 119. There are tons of spots up that road. Last time I was up there a few years ago it wasn't too bad the first few miles. I remember it being just a washboard dirt road for the first mile or two. I've seen full size campers back there so I would imagine a bike would be fine. Maybe someone else has been up there more recently and knows the current road conditions.
User avatar
SkaredShtles
Posts: 2588
Joined: 5/20/2013
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by SkaredShtles »

sfreytag wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:48 am If you go down the road a bit there is Geneva Park CG. Definitely accessible by a bike.
Unless something has recently changed, this campground is closed. Has been for a couple years, IIRC.
User avatar
sfreytag
Posts: 80
Joined: 5/5/2020
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26 1
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by sfreytag »

I think the Forest Service website is out of date...surprise, surprise. There are lots of reviews of the campground on Google from stays over the past few weeks. Common theme is the campground host isn't a very nice lady...maybe you don't want to stay there after all :lol:

https://goo.gl/maps/Ya3gYZDD2iZLGNeu6
indio
Posts: 2
Joined: 8/27/2023
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Mt Elbert and Bierstadt

Post by indio »

Thank you all for responding.

Mt Bierstadt will have to either stay at hotel/motel at Gorgetown or dispersed camping around Geneva Lake campground as managed campgrounds close after Sept 4th. Road leading up to Geneva lake campground is doable based on some photos I have seen.

It looks like HalfMoon road leading to namesake campgrounds and then to the Elbert Creek campgroud is gravel road for most part so I will ride it up there, disperse camp. Hike up next day, pack up spend 1 night in Leadville.