Hello everyone, I’ll start with a little intro/background since this is my first post. I’ve been quietly lurking this website and the forums since I was about 10 years old. My family made a move from Norman, OK to Loveland that year (‘06) and I immediately fell in love with Long’s Peak and the whole 14’er thing, explained to my family by our new neighbors. I decided that I would stand on top of that mountain one day, but also be able to make it back home since even back then I knew the risks.
Fast forward to the year 2023, and I finally get around to doing my first alpine hike - Chasm Lake. I loved every second of it, even the grueling parts. I want to get into some class 3 territory within a few years but trying to work my way up to that, which is a little more difficult coming from Oklahoma. (Boomer Sooner by the way!)
Back on topic for the post, my next step is of course to *actually* summit a 14’er so that I know I can handle the elevation and physical exertion to work up the ladder. I’ve been training all summer and plan to hike Quandary Peak next week. From what I gather, it seems as though it’s a little tougher than Chasm elevation gain-wise, and of course a couple thousand feet higher up. I’m staying with my grandma in Monument starting Saturday and hoping to get up to Breck at least the night before I go to get a little more acclimated, and basically preparing my pack the same as I did for Chasm Lake, with maybe an extra layer. I’m also hoping to find a few warm up hikes that I can do in the Monument/Springs area before I get up there. Taking the shuttle the day of the hike, because I don’t see any reason not to.
Basically my question is: Is there anything major that I’m missing that I should consider before setting out? This website has been SUPER helpful to me so far so either way I’m grateful and thrilled to be getting involved!
First 14’er planned for next week!
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
dilloncarpenter
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 1/12/2023
- 14ers: 1
- Trip Reports (0)
-
nyker
- Posts: 3567
- Joined: 12/5/2007
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 25
- Trip Reports (69)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Dillon, Welcome long time lurker!
Chasm Lake was one of my first "high altitude" hikes also before ever summiting a 14er, as well as some other RMNP area hikes.
As you mention, Quandary will be a little higher (about ~2,500ft higher than Chasm Lake); so as a way to "test" how you'll be at higher elevation, just go slower to start even if you feel you can hike faster.
Elevation gain for Quandary is an additional ~1,000ft vs the elevation gain getting up to Chasm Lake, plus the higher absolute elevation getting of 14,272ft. Staying a couple days higher up beforehand as you're doing will help.
While Quandary is billed as an "easy" 14er, all things are relative; if not used to the altitude or not accustomed to exerting yourself at higher elevation, it will be very hard despite its easier reputation.
Packing an extra layer is a good idea as will be hydrating properly and eating sufficiently before and during the hike up and down. Sadly, you won't be accompanied by Horton on your trip to Quandary.
The hardest thing may be securing a parking spot...
Good luck!
Chasm Lake was one of my first "high altitude" hikes also before ever summiting a 14er, as well as some other RMNP area hikes.
As you mention, Quandary will be a little higher (about ~2,500ft higher than Chasm Lake); so as a way to "test" how you'll be at higher elevation, just go slower to start even if you feel you can hike faster.
Elevation gain for Quandary is an additional ~1,000ft vs the elevation gain getting up to Chasm Lake, plus the higher absolute elevation getting of 14,272ft. Staying a couple days higher up beforehand as you're doing will help.
While Quandary is billed as an "easy" 14er, all things are relative; if not used to the altitude or not accustomed to exerting yourself at higher elevation, it will be very hard despite its easier reputation.
Packing an extra layer is a good idea as will be hydrating properly and eating sufficiently before and during the hike up and down. Sadly, you won't be accompanied by Horton on your trip to Quandary.
The hardest thing may be securing a parking spot...
Good luck!
-
Pcypher
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 7/24/2015
- 14ers: 58
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Yep. What Nyker said. Definitely hydrate and I eat ever 90 minutes max even if I’m not hungry. Bonking is real and high elevation bonking is no fun. You might want poles. Just something to consider. Have fun and good luck!!
It’s not who you think you are that holds you back; it’s who you think you’re not.
-
Ptglhs
- Posts: 1582
- Joined: 1/6/2016
- 14ers: 58 8
- 13ers: 86 2
- Trip Reports (4)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Saying something is the easiest 14er is like saying you're the thinnest kid at fat camp. None of them are "easy", unless you're an insanely gifted athelte who's already acclimated. But don't stress over the hike. It'll be tough but you'll probably be fine. Take snacks, 3L of water, sunblock, and a couple of lightweight layers. You will have a few hundred other unfortunate souls on the trail with you so have fun.
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Just keep in mind that Quandary is now under a very expensive parking reservation system ($30 off peak, $55 peak). I suggest taking the bus option ($7) if you are set on Quandary, or perhaps going for something like Bierstadt or Sherman if you can drive to those trailheads to avoid having to "pay to play"
Parking/Shuttle information link for Quandary:
https://hikequandary.com/?doing_wp_cron ... 3681640625
Parking/Shuttle information link for Quandary:
https://hikequandary.com/?doing_wp_cron ... 3681640625
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Prepare as you prepared for Chasm Lake. (I assume you packed rain gear.) Start early and join the queue. You won't be alone!
Expect Quandary to be way more difficult than Chasm Lake. You're going to encounter steeper grades at higher altitudes many times over. Take your time. You know your body so only you know what it'll need, what works and what doesn't. As mentioned, stay hydrated. I don't eat on hikes under 4-5 hours so that's up to you. I might eat a nut bar at the summit, but I never lunch it up. Trying to acclimate a couple days before is useless, but a high elevation hike is a good idea. Just don't burn yourself out. Most of all have fun and enjoy the adventure!!!
As mentioned, Bierstadt is a similar hike if you don't want the hassle of parking or shuttles. A bit longer in distance, but less elevation gain.
Expect Quandary to be way more difficult than Chasm Lake. You're going to encounter steeper grades at higher altitudes many times over. Take your time. You know your body so only you know what it'll need, what works and what doesn't. As mentioned, stay hydrated. I don't eat on hikes under 4-5 hours so that's up to you. I might eat a nut bar at the summit, but I never lunch it up. Trying to acclimate a couple days before is useless, but a high elevation hike is a good idea. Just don't burn yourself out. Most of all have fun and enjoy the adventure!!!
As mentioned, Bierstadt is a similar hike if you don't want the hassle of parking or shuttles. A bit longer in distance, but less elevation gain.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
prhoda
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 7/23/2025
- 14ers: 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Sounds like a great time! I was actually up that way this past weekend and hit my first 14er on Monday 7/21 doing Gray's Peak. Would have done Torrey's as well for the 2 for 1 special, but my fear of heights got the better of me. I moved to Colorado Springs 5 years ago from Arkansas and really got into the idea of a 14er last year. So best advice I can give coming from endurance athletics and having just completed my first is this...dilloncarpenter wrote: ↑Tue Jul 22, 2025 10:50 pm Hello everyone, I’ll start with a little intro/background since this is my first post. I’ve been quietly lurking this website and the forums since I was about 10 years old. My family made a move from Norman, OK to Loveland that year (‘06) and I immediately fell in love with Long’s Peak and the whole 14’er thing, explained to my family by our new neighbors. I decided that I would stand on top of that mountain one day, but also be able to make it back home since even back then I knew the risks.
Fast forward to the year 2023, and I finally get around to doing my first alpine hike - Chasm Lake. I loved every second of it, even the grueling parts. I want to get into some class 3 territory within a few years but trying to work my way up to that, which is a little more difficult coming from Oklahoma. (Boomer Sooner by the way!)
Back on topic for the post, my next step is of course to *actually* summit a 14’er so that I know I can handle the elevation and physical exertion to work up the ladder. I’ve been training all summer and plan to hike Quandary Peak next week. From what I gather, it seems as though it’s a little tougher than Chasm elevation gain-wise, and of course a couple thousand feet higher up. I’m staying with my grandma in Monument starting Saturday and hoping to get up to Breck at least the night before I go to get a little more acclimated, and basically preparing my pack the same as I did for Chasm Lake, with maybe an extra layer. I’m also hoping to find a few warm up hikes that I can do in the Monument/Springs area before I get up there. Taking the shuttle the day of the hike, because I don’t see any reason not to.
Basically my question is: Is there anything major that I’m missing that I should consider before setting out? This website has been SUPER helpful to me so far so either way I’m grateful and thrilled to be getting involved!
Fuel - make sure you keep topped up. I ran 1 gel/hour and electrolyte tabs every 30 min beyond that. I would recommend something higher in protein on the way down mixed with the gels/gummies to help with the wear and tear on the muscles with the descent.
Pace- just go slow and steady. I found that if I tried to go faster, breaks were needed more frequently.
Water - I drank about a liter on the way up and the rest on the way back down and brought a few extra bottles in my bag just in case.
Get started early. I got a 3am start and made it to 13,500' by sunrise and it was awesome to take in.
Nothing really quite prepares you for an actual 14er but going down to Manitou for the Incline is definitely not a bad "prep" just know your legs are gonna be hurting for a couple days after the fact. Otherwise, my favorite in the area that is open is Ute Valley in the Rockrimmon area. I did that a couple times each week going the outer portion and some in the middle. Best way to find your path in the is the CoTrex app on your phone. Super beneficial if you're not familiar with the parks. Also Red Rock Canyon Open space is a pretty good hike in Colorado Springs.
Feel free to DM me if you have questions on things in the Springs area. Good luck and definitely take the time soak it in. Such a great experience.
-
dilloncarpenter
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 1/12/2023
- 14ers: 1
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and helpful tips!
I’m happy to report that I made a successful summit on Quandary yesterday, July 28th! Words cannot begin to describe the feeling of being on that trail and standing up top taking in the views. I know all too well that there’s truly no “easy” 14’er, but all the stairs and incline and cardio I’ve done this summer could not have prepared me for how difficult it actually was, especially that last 1000’ or so. There were several times I thought about turning back but I’m so glad I didn’t! I was one of the slowest ones on the trail but everyone I met was so positive and encouraging. I sparked way more conversations than I expected just by wearing an OU hat. Here are some stats and things I learned.
Start: 5:45am
Summit: 12:05pm (left about 12:45)
Trailhead: 3:50pm
(I know some of yall might say I was too late getting off the summit but the weather was absolutely perfect, no issues. The clouds never got any darker than in my pic when I was up there)
-A few of you mentioned the gels, I bought a few just to try out and my body immediately rejected it. I was told by an REI employee that Nerds gummy clusters work just as well if not better, so I snacked on those and felt pretty good about it. Has anyone else tried this? Uncrustables were pretty handy.
-One major thing I missed: chapstick! It looks like I have lipstick on now lol, lesson learned for next time.
-A dust devil formed right where I was standing which was a neat experience.
-A baby goat was very curious about me sitting, but I stayed still while the mama kept an eye on things. I figured as long as I kept cool, they would just move on. I got a really neat photo sequence out of it though.
-No poles on the way up, but it would’ve taken me at least twice as long to get down without them. Still a huge toll on my knees and hips but they definitely made it easier.
-I never used my outer layer, but rather have it and not need it than the other way around.
-3 liters of water, not a drop was missed. Liquid IV’s before and after.
I’d say not bad for a first timer from Oklahoma. Couldn’t have done it without adequate research and prep though, which I have this website and the community to thank for. I’ll be back next summer for the next one!
I’m happy to report that I made a successful summit on Quandary yesterday, July 28th! Words cannot begin to describe the feeling of being on that trail and standing up top taking in the views. I know all too well that there’s truly no “easy” 14’er, but all the stairs and incline and cardio I’ve done this summer could not have prepared me for how difficult it actually was, especially that last 1000’ or so. There were several times I thought about turning back but I’m so glad I didn’t! I was one of the slowest ones on the trail but everyone I met was so positive and encouraging. I sparked way more conversations than I expected just by wearing an OU hat. Here are some stats and things I learned.
Start: 5:45am
Summit: 12:05pm (left about 12:45)
Trailhead: 3:50pm
(I know some of yall might say I was too late getting off the summit but the weather was absolutely perfect, no issues. The clouds never got any darker than in my pic when I was up there)
-A few of you mentioned the gels, I bought a few just to try out and my body immediately rejected it. I was told by an REI employee that Nerds gummy clusters work just as well if not better, so I snacked on those and felt pretty good about it. Has anyone else tried this? Uncrustables were pretty handy.
-One major thing I missed: chapstick! It looks like I have lipstick on now lol, lesson learned for next time.
-A dust devil formed right where I was standing which was a neat experience.
-A baby goat was very curious about me sitting, but I stayed still while the mama kept an eye on things. I figured as long as I kept cool, they would just move on. I got a really neat photo sequence out of it though.
-No poles on the way up, but it would’ve taken me at least twice as long to get down without them. Still a huge toll on my knees and hips but they definitely made it easier.
-I never used my outer layer, but rather have it and not need it than the other way around.
-3 liters of water, not a drop was missed. Liquid IV’s before and after.
I’d say not bad for a first timer from Oklahoma. Couldn’t have done it without adequate research and prep though, which I have this website and the community to thank for. I’ll be back next summer for the next one!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Nice job!
I can't handle those gels either. Disgusting. Poles are great for Quandary's descent due to all the stair steps. You're ready for the next adventure!
I can't handle those gels either. Disgusting. Poles are great for Quandary's descent due to all the stair steps. You're ready for the next adventure!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
ejfred
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 7/25/2011
- 14ers: 36
- 13ers: 52 1
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: First 14’er planned for next week!
Well done! And sounds like you kept a good eye on the weather, which I would add the list of important things to be prepared for. Congrats!
