Hey folks, brand new here....
Flying into Telluride in a couple of weeks for a 2-day layover, and staying in Montrose. I thought I'd get an early start the next am. and knock out Mount Sneffels. I'll have the usual POS rental, so not driving in too far, I'd be at the 2wd parking lot. Or is another trailhead recommended?
Likely going solo, as none of my crew mates are likely fit enough at that elevation. And I'd fast-hike/run it where possible. I'm thinking YakTrax are not needed in Sep.?I'll grab a helmet, my inRreach and load up the bladder pack with fluids and fuel. What is a good time estimate for a round-trip, based on where I'll need to park? And what trail is recommended?
Looking forward to the trip.
Thanks much,
Mark
Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
100K_ultrarunner
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 9/10/2025
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Park near the governor basin fork.
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=snef1
What's your experience level with mountains? Sneffels standard route has a short, exposed crux on it.
https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=snef1
What's your experience level with mountains? Sneffels standard route has a short, exposed crux on it.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Straight answer is Governer Basin.
Hope you know what you're getting into! Enjoy.
Hope you know what you're getting into! Enjoy.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
100K_ultrarunner
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 9/10/2025
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Hey folks, thanks for the tips. First time out on 14er. Plenty of time in the outdoors over the decades, hiking and backpacking and such. Any specific tips? I would be starting from the 2wd parking lot. What time of time should I budget for the round trip?
Thanks,
Mark
Thanks,
Mark
-
TT4life
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 6/15/2023
- 14ers: 43
- 13ers: 1
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Bring the helmet you mentioned, micro spikes, and trekking poles. This isn’t your normal “hike”. I say that as someone who mainly hiked for several years (CT, other fairly strenuous hikes) then focused on 14ers for the past 2-3 years.
-
terribletigzy
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 5/28/2020
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 42
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Governor Basin, as others said, is the place to park. From there (assuming you are taking the south slopes) it's about 8 miles and 3,400' of elevation gain. I just did this hike last weekend. The first 3-3.5 miles and 2,200' of elevation gain will be steep, easy, road or trail hiking. The final 0.5-1 mile and ~1,200' of gain will be more technical. The first section (about half the remaining elevation) is a steep loose dirt gully, after that the second section is a much rockier gully. The second gully continues almost all the way to the summit and is much less loose and I found it to be much more pleasant. Finally, you pass the third class crux and have one very short section similar in difficulty to the second gully to the top. Hard to say how long it will take you, as it depends on your fitness, comfort on that kind of terrain, response to altitude, route-finding, etc. A very strong hiker who is moving fast could likely complete the route round trip in 3-4 hours. A more standard time would likely be something in the 5-6 hour range.
Live a Fuller Life
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Don't expect to go flying up this one. Once you clear the first talus/scree field you'll need to be aware of knocking rocks down on others in the gulley. Tread carefully. Its steep and somewhat narrow.
Late September weather can be just about anything. Be prepared for winter, summer or anything in between. If there's ice or snow it will change everything and additional gear will be likely. That could turn the V notch into a serious challenge.
Late September weather can be just about anything. Be prepared for winter, summer or anything in between. If there's ice or snow it will change everything and additional gear will be likely. That could turn the V notch into a serious challenge.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
Scott P
- Posts: 9893
- Joined: 5/4/2005
- 14ers: 58 16
- 13ers: 57 14
- Trip Reports (16)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Most has been answered so far, but as far as the question on traction goes-maybe. September climbs can be icy and I have regretted not having traction on some climbs. It just depends on the recent weather.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
-
seannunn
- Posts: 439
- Joined: 3/6/2024
- 14ers: 54
- 13ers: 3
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
+1. There is no reason to risk an $1800 tow bill by trying to save one mile each way driving to the restroom building parking. (Ask me how I know.)
Above that lot is genuinely rough 4WD that no one without a heavily modified vehicle can drive without seriously risking getting stuck or damaging their vehicle.
Its a fun climb. As others have said, the V slot is a little sketchy and moderately exposed. Your climbing skill set and comfort with exposure will determine whether it is a minor inconvenience for you or a puckering experience.
Sean Nunn
Peculiar, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
--Psalm 36:6
--Psalm 36:6
-
Wentzl
- Posts: 1267
- Joined: 7/29/2008
- 14ers: 58 18
- 13ers: 56
- Trip Reports (51)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Not sure if you made your climb yet, but the advice about changing conditions is spot on this weekend. Summer to Winter overnight!
Sneffels as seen from Montrose 9/13/25
Sneffels as seen from Montrose 9/13/25
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
100K_ultrarunner
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 9/10/2025
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Hey folks, thanks for all the intel. I'll most definitely be taking it slow, and I'll be geared up for wx. I followed the directions above on the map, and this TH parking lot is the place for 2wd?
Thanks again!
[media]Screenshot 2025-09-14 at 10.59.44 AM[/media]
Thanks again!
[media]Screenshot 2025-09-14 at 10.59.44 AM[/media]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
cedica
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 6/25/2014
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Planning first 14er...Mount Sneffels
Nope, expect to park here:100K_ultrarunner wrote: ↑Sun Sep 14, 2025 9:07 am Hey folks, thanks for all the intel. I'll most definitely be taking it slow, and I'll be geared up for wx. I followed the directions above on the map, and this TH parking lot is the place for 2wd?
Thanks again!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2 ... 5'33.8%22W
