Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Trailblazer1090
Posts: 5
Joined: 7/27/2015
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)
 

Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by Trailblazer1090 »

Looking at Capitol next weekend with @merswagman, my 3rd Capitol climb and his first. We don't mind camping outside the Overnight Permit Zone, but if anyone has a permit for any of the *fantastic* designated campsites close to Capitol Lake for the following nights that they no longer need (or wouldn't mind having an extra tent nearby) please let us know!

Friday 7/17
Saturday 7/18
Sunday 7/19

Cheers :horns:
User avatar
ColoNativeGal
Posts: 102
Joined: 10/21/2016
14ers: 55  3 
13ers: 38 5
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by ColoNativeGal »

I may have one for 7/19 (I think, need to confirm exact date that weekend). Depends on if we do Chicago Basin that weekend, we have train tickets. Waiting to see weather and smoke forecast. Happy to release it to you or share the spot depending on what we do. I won't know until maybe Tuesday next week.
User avatar
ColoNativeGal
Posts: 102
Joined: 10/21/2016
14ers: 55  3 
13ers: 38 5
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by ColoNativeGal »

ColoNativeGal wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 4:58 pm I may have one for 7/19 (I think, need to confirm exact date that weekend). Depends on if we do Chicago Basin that weekend, we have train tickets. Waiting to see weather and smoke forecast. Happy to release it to you or share the spot depending on what we do. I won't know until maybe Tuesday next week.
Confirmed my permit is for Sunday 7/19. Let me know if you're interested.
User avatar
Trailblazer1090
Posts: 5
Joined: 7/27/2015
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by Trailblazer1090 »

ColoNativeGal wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07, 2026 8:03 pm
ColoNativeGal wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 4:58 pm I may have one for 7/19 (I think, need to confirm exact date that weekend). Depends on if we do Chicago Basin that weekend, we have train tickets. Waiting to see weather and smoke forecast. Happy to release it to you or share the spot depending on what we do. I won't know until maybe Tuesday next week.
Confirmed my permit is for Sunday 7/19. Let me know if you're interested.
Thank you for replying and appreciate the offer, ColoNativeGal, but I double-checked with my climbing partner and we'll have to stick to camping the night of Friday 7/17 or Saturday 7/18.

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone else sees this and hits you up for Sunday 7/19 if you decide to check out Chicago Basin instead : )
User avatar
ColoNativeGal
Posts: 102
Joined: 10/21/2016
14ers: 55  3 
13ers: 38 5
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by ColoNativeGal »

Trailblazer1090 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08, 2026 1:28 pm
ColoNativeGal wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07, 2026 8:03 pm
ColoNativeGal wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 4:58 pm I may have one for 7/19 (I think, need to confirm exact date that weekend). Depends on if we do Chicago Basin that weekend, we have train tickets. Waiting to see weather and smoke forecast. Happy to release it to you or share the spot depending on what we do. I won't know until maybe Tuesday next week.
Confirmed my permit is for Sunday 7/19. Let me know if you're interested.
Thank you for replying and appreciate the offer, ColoNativeGal, but I double-checked with my climbing partner and we'll have to stick to camping the night of Friday 7/17 or Saturday 7/18.

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone else sees this and hits you up for Sunday 7/19 if you decide to check out Chicago Basin instead : )
Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know.
McMountain
Posts: 1
Joined: 6/16/2019
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by McMountain »

I’m camping up there tomorrow 07/11, climbing Capitol on Sunday. Welcome to share the campsite
User avatar
Trailblazer1090
Posts: 5
Joined: 7/27/2015
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by Trailblazer1090 »

McMountain wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2026 6:53 pm I’m camping up there tomorrow 07/11, climbing Capitol on Sunday. Welcome to share the campsite
Sorry to miss your reply, McMountain! Hope you had a good outing, and let me know if you have any conditions to report or anything else we should look out for this upcoming weekend.
mtngnome
Posts: 1
Joined: 7/22/2025
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by mtngnome »

I have a permit for the 17th. I just sent you a PM about the site.
User avatar
Trailblazer1090
Posts: 5
Joined: 7/27/2015
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Seeking Capitol Lake Overnight Permit (7/17- 7/19)

Post by Trailblazer1090 »

mtngnome wrote: ↑Wed Jul 15, 2026 4:12 pm I have a permit for the 17th. I just sent you a PM about the site.
Really appreciate the offer mtngnome, but schedules were such that we're now locked into backpacking in Saturday early afternoon and climbing Sunday. And coming to terms with our fate of a pre-cattle fence campsite : )

Thanks anyway! Maybe we'll catch you on your way back to the TH on Saturday.