Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JLuthanen
Posts: 10
Joined: 7/10/2013
Trip Reports (0)
 

Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by JLuthanen »

Yo! Not a CO native, but a mountain minded individual all the same. I have the pleasure of attending a wedding of a good friend coming up in Denver in a couple weeks (weekend of July 15, 2023) and was planning to arrive a couple days early to hike Grays / Torreys on that Thursday and fly fish a bit wherever I can get into fish (probably the alpine given runoff) that Friday. I do not necessarily need a climbing partner per se, but would be fun to have company and meet some locals. Ex-MT, current WA resident - was originally aiming for the Decalibron but it sounds like you CO types are battling land privatization which is unfortunately familiar to me.

If this sounds interesting at all, please DM or respond here : ) cheers
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by mtree »

Hah! You'll have MORE than enough company on Grays/Torreys.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
User avatar
cloudkicker
Posts: 129
Joined: 5/21/2015
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 244 15
Trip Reports (6)
 

Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by cloudkicker »

I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
Ryan P
Posts: 55
Joined: 6/26/2023
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by Ryan P »

cloudkicker wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
People always give this response (and it's not untrue) but there's a difference between hiking with other groups around you, and hiking with a dedicated companion. I for one greatly prefer the latter.
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by mtree »

Ryan P wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 am
cloudkicker wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
People always give this response (and it's not untrue) but there's a difference between hiking with other groups around you, and hiking with a dedicated companion. I for one greatly prefer the latter.
True. But its not like you couldn't look around and ask someone if they have a Band-Aid or gummie. You could probably hand out dollar bills at the trailhead and someone will hike with you. That or burritos.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
User avatar
druid2112
Posts: 296
Joined: 9/7/2012
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)
 

Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by druid2112 »

mtree wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:38 am
Ryan P wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 am
cloudkicker wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
People always give this response (and it's not untrue) but there's a difference between hiking with other groups around you, and hiking with a dedicated companion. I for one greatly prefer the latter.
True. But its not like you couldn't look around and ask someone if they have a Band-Aid or gummie. You could probably hand out dollar bills at the trailhead and someone will hike with you. That or burritos.
Someone will hike with burritos?
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
JLuthanen
Posts: 10
Joined: 7/10/2013
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard

Post by JLuthanen »

Frozen burritos work great in the backcountry : ) by the time you are ready to eat, mostly thawed out. A thru-hiker once taught me this hack - as it were, I will try to make my way up the congo line to the summit of both peaks at the very late hour which I am afforded to hike this Thursday :lol: hope to see some of you all there