Yo! Not a CO native, but a mountain minded individual all the same. I have the pleasure of attending a wedding of a good friend coming up in Denver in a couple weeks (weekend of July 15, 2023) and was planning to arrive a couple days early to hike Grays / Torreys on that Thursday and fly fish a bit wherever I can get into fish (probably the alpine given runoff) that Friday. I do not necessarily need a climbing partner per se, but would be fun to have company and meet some locals. Ex-MT, current WA resident - was originally aiming for the Decalibron but it sounds like you CO types are battling land privatization which is unfortunately familiar to me.
If this sounds interesting at all, please DM or respond here : ) cheers
Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
JLuthanen
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 7/10/2013
- Trip Reports (0)
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
Hah! You'll have MORE than enough company on Grays/Torreys.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
cloudkicker
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 5/21/2015
- 14ers: 58 10
- 13ers: 244 15
- Trip Reports (6)
Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
-
Ryan P
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 6/26/2023
- 14ers: 8
- 13ers: 2
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
People always give this response (and it's not untrue) but there's a difference between hiking with other groups around you, and hiking with a dedicated companion. I for one greatly prefer the latter.cloudkicker wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
True. But its not like you couldn't look around and ask someone if they have a Band-Aid or gummie. You could probably hand out dollar bills at the trailhead and someone will hike with you. That or burritos.Ryan P wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 amPeople always give this response (and it's not untrue) but there's a difference between hiking with other groups around you, and hiking with a dedicated companion. I for one greatly prefer the latter.cloudkicker wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
druid2112
- Posts: 296
- Joined: 9/7/2012
- 14ers: 46 6
- 13ers: 32 5
- Trip Reports (7)
Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
Someone will hike with burritos?mtree wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:38 amTrue. But its not like you couldn't look around and ask someone if they have a Band-Aid or gummie. You could probably hand out dollar bills at the trailhead and someone will hike with you. That or burritos.Ryan P wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 amPeople always give this response (and it's not untrue) but there's a difference between hiking with other groups around you, and hiking with a dedicated companion. I for one greatly prefer the latter.cloudkicker wrote: ↑Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am I was a CFI peak steward on G&T one summer and encountered 350 people on one weekend day. You will not be alone.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
-
JLuthanen
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 7/10/2013
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Company on Grays / Torreys via standard
Frozen burritos work great in the backcountry : ) by the time you are ready to eat, mostly thawed out. A thru-hiker once taught me this hack - as it were, I will try to make my way up the congo line to the summit of both peaks at the very late hour which I am afforded to hike this Thursday
hope to see some of you all there
