14er trip for 800' dwellers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fast Jimm
Posts: 51
Joined: 3/11/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by Fast Jimm »

mtree wrote: ↑Fri Sep 05, 2025 9:52 am You will not acclimate to high altitude in a few days. Period. Acclimate - biochemical and physiological changes in your body at a cellular and molecular level. There just isn’t enough time. It takes many days, even weeks to get results and there are many variables involved.

What you CAN do is adapt. First, there’s biophysical adaptation. The ability to both physically and physiologically make adjustments to changing environmental conditions. You won’t see much difference physiologically. But you can adapt physically - and most noteworthy - psychologically. These are the benefits I suggest. It is different than acclimation or biophysical adaptation. I call it physical adaptation. Its far easier to achieve.

Just sleeping overnight at altitude will do absolutely NOTHING to adapt. You’re not engaging your body to cope with any kind of stress. That’s like saying your 4 hour flight pressurized at 8000ft was sufficient. No, it isn’t. You’re sitting there. Hanging out at 8000ft on a couch or slugging beer doesn’t do much either. Kinda like staring at the weight bench expecting to yolk up. Sleeping in your car at the trailhead before the hike to get acclimated? Right. Hey, if the placebo works, take it! Going for a run at 8000ft? Now we’re talking!

My suggestion is different than most. I say get the body to react to altitude stimulation as soon as possible. This includes a short hike above 10k. Maybe a longer one or higher one if you feel good. What’s happening is you’re learning to adapt to your new environment. How to breathe properly without passing out. How to set your cadence. How to adjust your speed. How it feels to have your chest expand like your heart is popping out of your ribs! Dealing with exhaustion, dehydration, and recovery. Extending endurance. THESE are the benefits of strenuous movement at altitude before hiking a 14er. You are physically adapting to your new environment. Its much more efficient and quicker than acclimating. In lieu of this, just go for it. Start slow and take it easy.

I say sleep wherever, but just sleep before a big hike. Preferably 48 hours in advance. It’s the night’s sleep before the night of the hike that really matters. Eat well and hydrate to minimize your body’s unnecessary stress. My mantra to all the newbies and flatlanders I take hiking is physical adaptation. Focus on the things you can control. That’s the key. Physical adaptation. That’s what we should push to newbies asking about acclimatization. Kinda what nyker stated without realizing it.

One more thing on altitude sickness. You can’t predict it. Outside of not climbing that 14er, you can’t really prevent it. If it happens it happens. Just don’t make it worse.
You're coming up with quite a bit of contradictory and hard to follow information.

Sleeping at altitude is exactly what high altitude mountaineers do and absolutely does have acclimatization effects as your body adapts to the altitude whether you're exerting yourself or not. It IS well known that ventures above your sleeping altitude are a major part of adapting to high altitudes, but your experience with just having a couple guys hang out at 8k for a couple days doesn't prove that sleeping at altitude isn't helpful. You also compare a complete nights sleep at 8-10k- or several- with a 4 hour pressurization flight.

The OP comes from low and plans to hike very high, with a compressed time frame. I do the same and have brought several people out and it's clear that people get some initial adaptation in just a couple of days. We do 14ers on days 3 and 4 with no issues in spite of coming from about 1200 feet above sea level- by sleeping at 8-9600 k and hiking as high as possible during the day, plus all the other proven methods we've been discussing. I think you might be mixing full physiological adaptation, which could take the body 4-7 weeks at Colorado altitudes with initial acclimatization.
User avatar
Jim Davies
Posts: 7743
Joined: 6/8/2006
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by Jim Davies »

Lulu Gulch is a bad idea for a first 14er. There are points in this route where you can't just turn around and go down if you can't finish it, and you'll have to follow a roadless, trailless path along a ridgeline and over some intermediate summits. You might be tempted to take a "shortcut" down if you can't summit. If you do this route, take along a satellite communicator like an inReach, so that Search & Rescue will be able to find you. Strongly recommend the standard route - it's very beautiful and will probably be sufficiently challenging. "Crowds" are not really an issue, people get all offended here sometimes if there are two other hikers on the trail with them.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
User avatar
mtnkub
Posts: 489
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 129 4 4
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by mtnkub »

Fast Jimm wrote: ↑Sat Sep 06, 2025 8:01 pm
mtree wrote: ↑Fri Sep 05, 2025 9:52 am ...
You're coming up with quite a bit of contradictory and hard to follow information.
No kidding!
User avatar
mtnkub
Posts: 489
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 129 4 4
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by mtnkub »

astranko wrote: ↑Thu Sep 04, 2025 1:30 pm
mtree wrote: ↑Thu Sep 04, 2025 11:11 am You're not going to acclimate so doesn't really matter where you sleep as long as you get GOOD sleep.
You post this "advice" in every thread and again I have to point out that NO reputable source agrees with this statement. It is, by every metric, false.

Acclimatization happens through a series of processes, both fast (hours to days) and slow (weeks). Staging any trip such that you move upwards as slowly as your itinerary will allow will reduce your risks of altitude sickness and allow those processes to happen more completely.

Here's a series of recommendations from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/yellow-book/hcp/env ... lness.html
And see the above as a bump of another response that may be more helpful than my earlier comment.
User avatar
wineguy
Posts: 375
Joined: 7/12/2009
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 192 2
Trip Reports (9)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by wineguy »

mtree wrote: ↑Thu Sep 04, 2025 11:11 am Guess what, one was fine and the other got pretty good altitude sickness. We had to turn around about 13k. One symptom he had which you should be aware of is confusion to the point of delusion.
This says it all, varies from one person to another. Can never tell, but be prepared to descend if you feel bad. Personally, I'm fortunate not to suffer much from altitude, never had headaches or nausea, though can feel pretty exhausted on first day out. In 2023 at age 73 I drove out from Kansas City (about 900' elevation), slept at the TH, and the next day went over the top of Shavano to UN13,712 and back over Shavano to TH, over 5600' vertical, and felt fine.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
User avatar
mtnkub
Posts: 489
Joined: 8/7/2009
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 129 4 4
Trip Reports (5)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by mtnkub »

But the "confusion to the point of delusion" is actually a good cautionary tale. Doesn't affect everyone, but I think it is a good idea to periodically check your confidence in your decision-making ability.
MajesticCO
Posts: 8
Joined: 8/26/2025
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by MajesticCO »

Hey all, thanks for the replies and scientific back and forth... (it was entertaining)

The plan is to sleep at Frisco, 9k' after the drive, hoping to get a respectable 7 hours before hotel check out. (thursday night into friday morning)

We then plan on looking around the area for any cheap equipment we can get to aid us in both camping and hiking (friday) may also do some exercise to try to acclimate or at least understand the elevation more

Friday night we plan to camp out near the peaks where we can find a campground (have a few in mind)

Hike day is Saturday. Planning on heading to the trailhead at around 4 am. Hoping to summit and come down unscathed!
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1718
Joined: 6/16/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by mtree »

Sounds like an excellent plan! A beautiful time of year. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
wngmv
Posts: 1
Joined: 9/14/2014
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by wngmv »

MajesticCO wrote: ↑Sun Sep 14, 2025 9:07 pm Hey all, thanks for the replies and scientific back and forth... (it was entertaining)

The plan is to sleep at Frisco, 9k' after the drive, hoping to get a respectable 7 hours before hotel check out. (thursday night into friday morning)

We then plan on looking around the area for any cheap equipment we can get to aid us in both camping and hiking (friday) may also do some exercise to try to acclimate or at least understand the elevation more

Friday night we plan to camp out near the peaks where we can find a campground (have a few in mind)

Hike day is Saturday. Planning on heading to the trailhead at around 4 am. Hoping to summit and come down unscathed!
have you picked a peak? I came out from 900' and did 14ers multiples and you guys will be fine. Here are a few tips:

1. bring at least 2L of water.

2. have sun screen/sun shirt/caps.

3. Have a windproof jacket.

4. Make sure you have enough snacks/gels etc for the final push.

5. have the gpx route o your tracking device. And have a tracking device. alltrails (paid), Gaia etc will do on your phone.

6. Turn back if the weather looks risky. The forecast for Saturday calls for afternoon storms. Take it seriously.

It has already snowed twice in the mountain ranges above 12k. So expect to see snow/ice/slush condition. Bring microspikes if you have them.

And most importantly, do not drink alcohol. You never know how it's gonna mess with you. Postpone the beer for after you get down from the peaks.
Fast Jimm
Posts: 51
Joined: 3/11/2010
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by Fast Jimm »

I finished my trip last week and managed the following sequence sleeping in Breckenridge (was too cheap to pass up the deal I found). I'm a "1200" feet dweller so pretty low.

These are subsequent days so I feel that the sleep at 8k/9k and then start low on Day 1 plan does still get you acclimatized pretty quickly, and by day 3- as in the past- 14k was not a problem. I did take an advil at the start and halfway points as well on the first couple days.

1. Peak One Frisco (12800, +3800 ft gain)- hit the summit and turned around fast, as I could tell that the altitude effects were coming on hard. 14 years ago (at 39), I could have lingered up there about as long as I wanted, even on the first day :?
2. Meadowcreek to Eccles pass. Got to 12400 on the ridge to Deming mountain, turned back due to storms. Got 3350 feet of elevation gain for the day and just under 12 miles round trip- No altitude issues at all.
3. Mt Lincoln via the Ampitheater route- managed to make this nearly 4k of elevation gain starting out at wrong trailhead and making some nav mistakes- It was slow going above 13500 or so but no altitude symptoms. Felt good on the summit but turned around fast again at 12:30 due to approaching clouds.

I don't acclimate quite as fast as I did when I was in my early forties, for sure, but by day 3 on Mt. Lincoln I was tired but showing no signs of actual altitude sickness. One thing I think makes a HUGE difference is to increase the water packout. I took 3 liters on Peak One and it wasn't close to enough, even though I climbed in a short sleeve T-shirt all the way in mid-September.

My new recommendation, whether acclimating or not and with a reference weight of 180 Lbs, is to bring at least full liter of water for each 1000 feet of elevation gain, then add one more if the out and back is longer than, say, 8 miles. Then hydrate before leaving the car and make sure to have at least a full liter of water IN THE CAR for when you get back to the trailhead.

Hope your trip went well!
Last edited by Fast Jimm on Thu Sep 25, 2025 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Istoodupthere
Posts: 236
Joined: 5/5/2022
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 68 7
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by Istoodupthere »

Sleeping at 8000+ feet absolutely helps and I’m surprised this even needs to be discussed. I live at 1200’ and probably do more trips to CO than just about anyone else on this site from a low elevation. I almost always drive. 1st night I sleep in western KS or NE. 2nd night usually between 8 and 10k at the trailhead. Then I climb the next morning. I’m always sluggish. However I never have any real altitude issues. I usually take a day off relaxing above 8k then climb again. I always feel way better by that point. I’ve summited 103 peaks in CO higher than 13k. I’ve only had minor altitude issues once. That was when I did an afternoon/evening hike of Pike’s after sleeping in western NE.
Rick Canter
Posts: 113
Joined: 7/8/2012
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)
 

Re: 14er trip for 800' dwellers

Post by Rick Canter »

...I appreciate the response of Istoodupthere and contribute the following in respectful contrast. I have flown in from the East for 25 summers in the effort to summit the high peaks. Early on, someone told me that I could climb a 14er from sea level over a weekend, so I did, but boy did that hurt!!

Since then, and almost all the time, I spend a day a mile high, a day or two 7-9000' high, then carefully climb above treeline. After Day 4 or 5, typically summiting 14ers with only modest problems...assuming no alcohol, plenty of fluids, Diamox, eat well /carb heavy, decent sleep. But that recipe has gone haywire a few times.

My recent bad experience had me grumpy and languid in Buena Vista for 3 days before heading to the Plains, where I immediately felt better. This is inconsistent with most previous iterations, but it happened, and I did not do much differently that I know of. What else can I do, breathing exercises? I have noticed that a two-week vacation makes everything better, (duh). Interestingly, my son was with me and he was just as sluggish as me on our first 12K hike, but he recovered in time to attempt Sawatch peaks, while I had to stay lower.

As much as we know about acclimation, the thread here suggests we are still each finding our own way to success and also, sometimes the acclimation / adaptation effort fails for reasons we still do not fathom.