Sorry if this has been debated elsewhere on this forum. This is my first post here and I took some time to search specifically for the discussion of the final approach on the standard route to Missouri's summit, but I didn't specifically see the following aspect discussed.
I summited Missouri Mountain (and later, Mt. Belford) this past Wednesday (the 9th) via Missouri Gulch. These represented my 18th and 19th fourteeners (5th and 6th Sawatchers). I have done Longs Peak, so I am familiar with a "nominal" class 3 hike. So that was the context I had as I began the southeastward approach along the northwest ridge route. That crux, a few hundred feet from the summit, had me a bit concerned. I would argue that that move could be considered class 3 given the danger level associated with a slip - the "trail" there is just patted down dirt along a moderately-steep slope with nothing to stop you from sliding/rolling a few hundred feet down from there. I would imagine such a fall would be almost certain to cause injury, and maybe upwards of 50% probability of ultimately being fatal (considering the difficulty with trying to get back up that slope and back to the trail).
I am somewhat familiar with the class rating system, but is "danger" level factored into the system in any explicit way? I can see the trail itself being in the class 2 range, but with that kind of slipping hazard and the subsequent exposure/fall, could that area be argued to be class 3?
FWIW, on the ascent I actually swung over the small rock buttress along the very spine of the ridge (i.e., above that move) and ended up losing my waist-mounted pedometer while crossing the rock. I may very well have turned that into a class 3 move myself. On the descent I went down below and around since it is easier for me to ascend steep scree like that than descend it. I slipped on my ass several times coming back down from the saddle, as well as coming down from Belford. Seemed more hazardous than the typical class 1 descent there.
Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
Forum rules
- This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
- Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
- Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
- Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
-
Jeff_Duda_IA319
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 8/11/2023
- 14ers: 20
- Trip Reports (0)
-
LarryM
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 5/11/2008
- 14ers: 29
- 13ers: 40
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
No.
First of all, you are correct that the issue on the crux is exposure. The actual climbing is totally class 2. Even were the exposure extreme, that wouldn't make it class 3. But for me, anyway (everyone is different) it wasn't that big a deal. I am a total wimp with exposure, and was somewhat apprehensive from the description when I did it last year. But the somewhat exposed crux was fine. The description makes it sound worse than it is (again, in my opinion). On the descent I was past the difficult section before I even realized it.
Edit - I would add - as I recall, it was last summer - the "descent" was actually easier, as the crux is a slight down climb on the way up before you start heading back up, and the worst part is the short down climb. So you're actually ascending through the difficulty on the "descent." Or at least that's how I remember it. Final edit - after I wrote this I looked at the route description again. Yeah, my memory was correct. The crux is a down climb on the ascent, so easier on the descent. Honestly there is probably about a 10 foot section that is difficult. And looking at the pictures on the route guide, it matches my memory in another respect: yes, it's exposed, but it's not a sheer drop.
Edit 2 - Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick about this, and obviously everyone reacts differently to it. It does sound like maybe you made it harder than is should have been by trying to avoid the crux in both directions. I know what you mean - you totally can avoid it by going above (class 3) or below (loose class 2) the crux, but IMO the trail is where is is for a reason, and it's the easiest route.
First of all, you are correct that the issue on the crux is exposure. The actual climbing is totally class 2. Even were the exposure extreme, that wouldn't make it class 3. But for me, anyway (everyone is different) it wasn't that big a deal. I am a total wimp with exposure, and was somewhat apprehensive from the description when I did it last year. But the somewhat exposed crux was fine. The description makes it sound worse than it is (again, in my opinion). On the descent I was past the difficult section before I even realized it.
Edit - I would add - as I recall, it was last summer - the "descent" was actually easier, as the crux is a slight down climb on the way up before you start heading back up, and the worst part is the short down climb. So you're actually ascending through the difficulty on the "descent." Or at least that's how I remember it. Final edit - after I wrote this I looked at the route description again. Yeah, my memory was correct. The crux is a down climb on the ascent, so easier on the descent. Honestly there is probably about a 10 foot section that is difficult. And looking at the pictures on the route guide, it matches my memory in another respect: yes, it's exposed, but it's not a sheer drop.
Edit 2 - Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick about this, and obviously everyone reacts differently to it. It does sound like maybe you made it harder than is should have been by trying to avoid the crux in both directions. I know what you mean - you totally can avoid it by going above (class 3) or below (loose class 2) the crux, but IMO the trail is where is is for a reason, and it's the easiest route.
Last edited by LarryM on Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
-
zootloopz
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 8/26/2019
- 14ers: 58 2
- 13ers: 208
- Trip Reports (5)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
I also remember not having a fun time here -- if anything a "difficult class 2" label could be warranted.
one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
IG @roughlysomewhere
IG @roughlysomewhere
-
mtree
- Posts: 1718
- Joined: 6/16/2010
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
I think you have to also consider the footwear you're using. Microspikes make it a class 1 hike. Hiking boots a class 2. You're correct in that your ballet flats make it a class 3. If you were to wear jester shoes it would be class 4. I think this site assumes you're wearing hiking boots or similar so adjust accordingly. Its the same as tires on cars. Not like its rocket science.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
-
LarryM
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 5/11/2008
- 14ers: 29
- 13ers: 40
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
Eh, running shoes (with decent tread) were fine.mtree wrote: ↑Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:18 pm I think you have to also consider the footwear you're using. Microspikes make it a class 1 hike. Hiking boots a class 2. You're correct in that your ballet flats make it a class 3. If you were to wear jester shoes it would be class 4. I think this site assumes you're wearing hiking boots or similar so adjust accordingly. Its the same as tires on cars. Not like its rocket science.
-
LarryM
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 5/11/2008
- 14ers: 29
- 13ers: 40
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
Now the crux (summit block) on Harvard, on the other hand, really IS arguably class 3. Or at least it was for me (I guess I didn't find the class 2 option that Bill refers to in the description). Fight me.
In fairness, it's super solid rock without huge exposure.
In fairness, it's super solid rock without huge exposure.
-
IntrepidXJ
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 4/24/2008
- 14ers: 34
- 13ers: 63
- Trip Reports (90)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
That spot turned me back a couple of years ago.LarryM wrote: ↑Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:12 pm But for me, anyway (everyone is different) it wasn't that big a deal. I am a total wimp with exposure, and was somewhat apprehensive from the description when I did it last year. But the somewhat exposed crux was fine. The description makes it sound worse than it is (again, in my opinion). On the descent I was past the difficult section before I even realized it.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
-
LarryM
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 5/11/2008
- 14ers: 29
- 13ers: 40
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
As I said, everyone is different. Just relating my experience. And I do understand how it can affect some people - it IS exposed, and it IS a little loose (as I recall, loose dirt rather than loose rock), and narrow. Though it's also a pretty short section.IntrepidXJ wrote: ↑Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:57 pmThat spot turned me back a couple of years ago.LarryM wrote: ↑Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:12 pm But for me, anyway (everyone is different) it wasn't that big a deal. I am a total wimp with exposure, and was somewhat apprehensive from the description when I did it last year. But the somewhat exposed crux was fine. The description makes it sound worse than it is (again, in my opinion). On the descent I was past the difficult section before I even realized it.
Ironically, and counterintuitively, my fear of exposure may have helped me a bit in this case. I got so worked up by the description that, when I actually got to the crux, I was like, oh, this isn't THAT bad. But maybe I was just having a good day.
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
Missouri class 2
Harvard class 2

Harvard class 2
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
the women 'round here start looking good"
-
LarryM
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 5/11/2008
- 14ers: 29
- 13ers: 40
- Trip Reports (3)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
I'm sure that, if I wasn't such a crappy route finder, Harvard would have been class 2 for me.
Mind you, it was EASY class 3.
(And obviously we're talking only about the summit block. Most of the standard route is class one, and most of the rest easy class 2.)
-
tortilla
- Posts: 114
- Joined: 9/21/2020
- 14ers: 58
- 13ers: 173
- Trip Reports (1)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
You have to put a quarter in the slot for the marmot to belay you, this keeps it 2+
-
14ercooper
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 7/24/2017
- Trip Reports (0)
Re: Missouri standard - arguable class 3?
I will admit, it took me several trips up Harvard before I actually found the class 2 option - it definitely isn't entirely clear where it is and I've seen a lot of people unable to find it across all my trips up to the summit. Could maybe do with a few more pictures, in my opinion.LarryM wrote: ↑Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:27 pm Now the crux (summit block) on Harvard, on the other hand, really IS arguably class 3. Or at least it was for me (I guess I didn't find the class 2 option that Bill refers to in the description). Fight me.
In fairness, it's super solid rock without huge exposure.
- 14ercooper
"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers. There are no old, bold climbers." - and I fully intend to be climbing when I'm old
"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers. There are no old, bold climbers." - and I fully intend to be climbing when I'm old
